March 20, 2009

top ten: urinals.

I was browsing around the internet, procrastinating doing anything productive, and I stumbled across this list of the top ten urinals around the world. Oh. Man. Check them out:


10. The Felix is apparently a very trendy bar/restaurant located in the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. Obviously, this is a very stylishly designed granite urinal. Very modern. Oh, wait, it's also equipped with a view of the cityscape. WOW! Beautiful! I wish I could see an incredibly lit cityscape when I were peeing. Another fun fact about this is that there used to not be actual urinals in the restaurant's bathroom. There was just the glass wall with draining mechanisms so you could actually pee ON the beautiful view. Very innovative, Hong Kong!

9. This one is located a little closer to home. Located in Sheboygan, Wisconsin's Kohler Arts Center is this incredibly decorated urinal. In fact, each seperate urinal is decorated in a different manner. I guess the theme so far is having something interesting to look at while you pee? I don't know, but I like their style in Sheboygan. Or maybe I just like saying "Sheboygan." Who knows!? Anyway, these urinals were designed by Matt Nolen, a New York artist. Each different urinal, aswell as the stalls, sinks, and walls, are suppose to depict changing architectural styles from ancient Egypt to the present. Who knew that you could actually get a history lesson because you drank too much sweet tea at lunch?



8. Talk about getting in touch with nature! These urinals are located in Thailand's Phi Phi Islands National Park. The island of Phi Phi Le, on which the park is located, is only 6.6 kilometers in area total. The park is also host to many popular beaches and the movie The Beach was actually filmed there. Go figure? I wonder if Leo used the urinals? When I think of National Parks I think of wholesome family fun. So let's just imagine for a second we're having a nice day at Yellowstone, enjoying the fresh air, and you happen to walk past the restroom...which is outdoors. That would probably scar my childhood a little, don't you think? I mean, really, if you're going to pee in the woods, what is the point of plumbing? Honestly...just pee in the woods! People do it every day when they go camping. Suck it up.

7. This one says that the purpose of this design was to make the visitor feek as though they were "standing amidst the flowers in a Swedish meadow." Tell me guys, would it be easier for you to take a piss "standing amidst the flowers in a Swedish meadow"? This men's restroom is in Terminal 5 of Stockhom-Arlanda Airport in Stockholm, Sweden. I know the airport isn't necessarily a place we'd want to be, given the amount of time you have to spend there these days, but does it really affect your ability to pee? Really? I mean, I guess that's nice of them to put your feelings into consideration, but how did they conduct the research for this. "Excuse me, sir, but if you had the choice of anywhere to pee, where would it be?" "Well, I'd have to say amidst the flowers of a Swedish meadow, my good man." "Ah, yes, we've gotten that a lot today. Thank you for your time and good day, sir!"


6. HOLY SHIT. This is just troubling. Urinals are for men, but how about a urinal for women? A Dairy Queen in Port Charlotte, Florida has done just this. A urinal...for women! For women!? Insanity. I guess it's for all those crazies who have always wanted to know what it's like to pee standing up? This looks like a space contraption though. I guess a lot of engineers worked tirelessly on this design. Honestly, though, this seems so gross to me. For the same reason you wear underwear when trying on bikinis at Target. Ugh.




5. St. Christopher's at the Winston located in Amsterdam is what I like to call a "Creepy Fetishists Paradise." They call it an artistically decorated hostel, but I guess we can agree to disagree? The hotel has a room called the "Exotic and Fetish Room." Come on, people! Anyway, these urinals are located in a bar that opened in the hostel in 2006. They're called "kisses" urinals. Ew. Like I said, they're for the creepy fetishists who want to legally pee in a woman's mouth, I suppose. If I were a guy, I'd feel so wrong using this bathroom. So, so, so wrong. Did I mention St. Christopher's also has a Body Fat room? Weird.




4. FANCY! The Urinals of Rothesay located on the Isle of Bute, which is off the west coast of Scotland, are Victorian style...marble...basically, the urinals you'd see in a millionaire dream, I guess? Just like the above, I'd feel wrong peeing here, but for a different reason. I just wouldn't want to mess anything up in there. I'm not a guy, so it's not an issue. The island used to be a popular stop on Victorian island cruises. Prince Charles recently visited here as part of his official itinerary! Like I said, fancy. I forgot something, they call it the "loo." I love it.




3. These are so awesome. Urinals...designed as flowers? Oh, man. They're actually very pretty sculptural pieces and then I remember that they're part of a bathroom fixture. They were created by San Francisco artist Clark Sorensen. They are all unique, hand made, and fully functioning. I sound like I'm doing an advertisement, don't I? Here's the link for all the pictures. http://www.urinal.net/naturescall/




2. Check out the Taj Mahal, folks. You know, it never occurred to me that a tomb would have urinals, but I guess a tomb can have urinals. Not only does this tomb have urinals, but they're environmentally conscious aswell! They use waterless urinals to preserve our water supply. Way to go, guys!




1. I guess what makes this one so interesting isn't what it is, but where it is. It is located on the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station. That's right people, the South Pole. Those researchers have to pee, too! The station is located 350 meters from the geographical south pole and drifts nearer at a rate of 10 meters per year. Antartica is the highest, driest, and coldest continent on the earth. The continent itself is not only the middle of nowhere, it is nowhere. It's miles from nowhere. Those men who built it in that environment were very noble. Very noble, indeed.
So there you have it. The top ten most fascinating urinals according to the internet community. Do I agree with the order, necessarily? No. But it's up to yourself to decide which is most interesting to you. In fact, you may find this post 100% disgusting. To each his own! I thought it was hilarious.

0 questions, comments, and/or outrageous objections.: