March 15, 2009

literary witch hunt.


So I read the American Library Association's list of the most challenged books and it made me sick. I have a HUGE problem with book banning. I want to know why people don't trust readers and why it's such a big deal for people to have creative freedom with their writing. What really gets me though is that a lot of the people who challenge books have never even read the books they deem "dangerous" or "inappropriate." In a lot of cases, the books might have a message you could identify with if you didn't take them so literally. I think it's nonsense to assume that a book will put dangerous notions in some one's mind and especially when these things aren't dangerous in any way at all, which you would know if you actually possessed an imagination.

All I can really say is that if I ever write a book, I hope someone finds it offensive enough to get on this list because then I know for a fact people will read it. And I'll still make money if people go out and buy it just to set it on fire. YOU LOSE! HA!

That's my rant for the day. Here's the link:
http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlists/TOP_100_in_2000_2007.pdf

0 questions, comments, and/or outrageous objections.: